- •CXCR4 and CD74 are coexpressed and increased on B cells in CLL patients.
- •CXCR4 and CD74 collaborate to enhance survival of malignant B cells in CLL.
- •CXCR4 and CD74 collaborate to enhance migration of malignant B cells in CLL.
- •MIF-Induced activation of CXCR4 and CD74 promotes survival of malignant B cells.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- B-Cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: A bird of a different feather.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 399-408
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.Lancet. 2008; 371: 1017-1029
- Dalla-Favera R. The molecular pathogenesis of chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.Nat Rev Cancer. 2016; 16: 145-162
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 804-815
- Quantification of CD4, CCR5, and CXCR4 levels on lymphocyte subsets, dendritic cells, and differentially conditioned monocyte-derived macrophages.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999; 96: 5215-5220
- Protection of CLL B cells by a follicular dendritic cell line is dependent on induction of Mcl-1.Blood. 2002; 100: 1795-1801
- Caligaris-Cappio F. The microenvironment in mature B-cell malignancies: A target for new treatment strategies.Blood. 2009; 114: 3367-3375
- Distinctive features of “nurselike” cells that differentiate in the context of chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Blood. 2002; 99: 1030-1037
- Delayed development of chronic lymphocytic leukemia in the absence of macrophage migration inhibitory factor.Blood. 2013; 121: 812-821
- MIF loss impairs Myc-induced lymphomagenesis.Cell Death Differ. 2005; 12: 1319-1328
- Enhanced expression of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in prostatic adenocarcinoma metastases.Urology. 1996; 48: 448-452
- Null mutation for macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) is associated with less aggressive bladder cancer in mice.BMC Cancer. 2007; 7: 135
- Translating biomarkers into clinical practice: Prognostic implications of cyclophilin A and macrophage migratory inhibitory factor identified from protein expression profiles in non-small cell lung cancer.Lung Cancer. 2004; 46: 313-323
- MIF is a noncognate ligand of CXC chemokine receptors in inflammatory and atherogenic cell recruitment.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 587-596
- IL-8 secreted in a macrophage migration-inhibitory factor-and CD74-dependent manner regulates B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia survival.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007; 104: 13408-13413
- Lippincott-Schwartz J. Intercellular transfer to signalling endosomes regulates an ex vivo bone marrow niche.Nat Cell Biol. 2009; 11: 303-311
- Dextran sulfate and stromal cell derived factor-1 promote CXCR4 expression and improve bone marrow homing efficiency of infused hematopoietic stem cells.J Nippon Med School. 2009; 76: 198-208
- Factors that influence short-term homing of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in a xenogeneic animal model.Haematologica. 2008; 93: 1457-1465
- The CXC chemokine SDF-1 is the ligand for LESTR/fusin and prevents infection by T-cell-line-adapted HIV-1.Nature. 1996; 382: 833-835
- The lymphocyte chemoattractant SDF-1 is a ligand for LESTR/fusin and blocks HIV-1 entry.Nature. 1996; 382: 829
- CXCL12 (SDF-1)/CXCR4 pathway in cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16: 2927-2931
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia B cells express functional CXCR4 chemokine receptors that mediate spontaneous migration beneath bone marrow stromal cells.Blood. 1999; 94: 3658-3667
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor induces B cell survival by activation of a CD74-CD44 receptor complex.J Biol Chem. 2008; 283: 2784-2792
- Chemokines and the arrest of lymphocytes rolling under flow conditions.Science. 1998; 279: 381-384
- Elucidating the CXCL12/CXCR4 signaling network in chronic lymphocytic leukemia through phosphoproteomics analysis.PloS One. 2010; 5: e11716
- Diversity and inter-connections in the CXCR4 chemokine receptor/ligand family: Molecular perspectives.Front Immunol. 2015; 6: 429
- AMD3100 disrupts the cross-talk between chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells and a mesenchymal stromal or nurse-like cell-based microenvironment: Pre-clinical evidence for its association with chronic lymphocytic leukemia treatments.Haematologica. 2012; 97: 608-615
- Preliminary results from a phase I dose escalation study to determine the maximum tolerated dose of plerixafor in combination with rituximab in patients with relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Blood. 2010; 116: 2450
- Cell-surface CD74 initiates a signaling cascade leading to cell proliferation and survival.Blood. 2006; 107: 4807-4816
- CD74 induces TAp63 expression leading to B-cell survival.Blood. 2007; 110: 4303-4311
- Milatuzumab immunoliposomes induce cell death in CLL by promoting accumulation of CD74 on the surface of B cells.Blood. 2010; 116: 2554-2558
- Targeting BCL-2 in B-cell malignancies and overcoming therapeutic resistance.Cell Death Dis. 2020; 11: 941
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia: A report from the International Workshop on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia updating the National Cancer Institute–Working Group 1996 guidelines.Blood. 2008; 111: 5446-5456
- National Cancer Institute-sponsored Working Group guidelines for chronic lymphocytic leukemia: Revised guidelines for diagnosis and treatment.Blood. 1996; 87: 4990-4997
- Human chronic lymphocytic leukemia modeled in mouse by targeted TCL1 expression.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2002; 99: 6955-6960
- MIF promotes B cell chemotaxis through the receptors CXCR4 and CD74 and ZAP-70 signaling.J Immunol. 2014; 192: 5273-5284
- CIP4 controls CCL19-driven cell steering and chemotaxis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Cancer Res. 2013; 73: 3412-3424
- Purification, bioactivity, and secondary structure analysis of mouse and human macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF).Biochemistry. 1994; 33: 14144-14155
- A functional heteromeric MIF receptor formed by CD74 and CXCR4.FEBS Lett. 2009; 583: 2749-2757
- MIF interacts with CXCR7 to promote receptor internalization, ERK1/2 and ZAP-70 signaling, and lymphocyte chemotaxis.FASEB J. 2015; 29: 4497-4511
- Identification of an Arg–Leu–Arg tripeptide that contributes to the binding interface between the cytokine MIF and the chemokine receptor CXCR4.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 5171
- CXCR4 inhibitor AMD3100 disrupts the interaction of multiple myeloma cells with the bone marrow microenvironment and enhances their sensitivity to therapy.Blood. 2009; 113: 4341-4351
- CD74 is a survival receptor on colon epithelial cells.World J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16: 3258
- High CD74 expression correlates with ZAP70 expression in B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients.Med Oncol. 2013; 30: 560
- Evidence for NK cell subsets based on chemokine receptor expression.J Immunol. 2006; 177: 7833-7840
- Down-regulation of CXCR4 expression on human CD8+ T cells during peripheral differentiation.Eur J Immunol. 2004; 34: 3370-3378
- Novel insights in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: are we getting closer to understanding the pathogenesis of the disease?.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 4497-4503
- CD74 is dispensable for development of chronic lymphocytic leukemia in Emicro-TCL1 transgenic mice.Leuk Lymphoma. 2020; 61: 2799-2810
- Overexpression of the chemokine receptor CXCR4 in B cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia is associated with increased functional response to stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1).Leukemia. 1999; 13: 1954-1959
- Small peptide inhibitors of the CXCR4 chemokine receptor (CD184) antagonize the activation, migration, and antiapoptotic responses of CXCL12 in chronic lymphocytic leukemia B cells.Blood. 2005; 106: 1824-1830
- CXCR4: a key receptor in the crosstalk between tumor cells and their microenvironment.Blood. 2006; 107: 1761-1767
- BTK inhibition results in impaired CXCR4 chemokine receptor surface expression, signaling and function in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Leukemia. 2016; 30: 833-843
- Mechanisms and effectors of MIF-dependent promotion of tumourigenesis.Cellular Signal. 2004; 16: 13-19
- A proinflammatory cytokine inhibits p53 tumor suppressor activity.J Exp Med. 1999; 190: 1375-1382
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-δ inhibitor CAL-101 shows promising preclinical activity in chronic lymphocytic leukemia by antagonizing intrinsic and extrinsic cellular survival signals.Blood. 2010; 116: 2078-2088
- Invariant chain induces B cell maturation by activating a TAFII105-NF-κB-dependent transcription program.J Biol Chem. 2001; 276: 27203-27206
JB and SK contributed equally to this work.
Presented in abstract form at the 59th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Hematology, Atlanta, Georgia, December 9, 2017.
TT designed the experiments, analyzed the data and wrote the article. SK, JB, and TT initiated the clinical study, designed the clinical research, managed the patients, and analyzed the clinical data. JB, SK, and TT designed the experiments. TT performed and analyzed the experiments. DS, AH, HL, HRC, LV, and LTG set up and ran additional experiments. JB, SK, IS, JP, OEB, and DS provided critical technical expertise and materials. TT wrote the article. JB, SK, IS, and TT edited the article.